Mental Health & Wellness Training
- The Inquiring Mind - TBD
- Mental Health First Aid - June 12-13, 2019
To sign up, please contact Crystal Johnson in the Sakala Success Centre (x. 4141)
The Inquiring Mind - Mental Health Commission of Canada
This 3.5 hour interactive workshop has been designed specifically for undergraduate students. It will help to increase participant’s awareness of mental health, address and reduce the stigma of mental illness and provide information on tools and resources to maintain positive mental health and increase resiliency.
Participants will learn practical knowledge of mental health and mental illness in order to:
- Recognize signs and behaviours to help identify when you (or your friends) are not coping;
- Provide information aimed at reducing stigma and negative attitudes around mental illness;
- Effectively support your friends, classmates and peers who may be experiencing with poor mental health;
- Successfully look after your own mental wellness and increase your resiliency.
If you want to see the research behind this program, click here.
If you are interested in participating in a training here on campus, please contact the Sakala Success Centre or Elise Kruithof - firstname.lastname@example.org
Question, Persuade and Refer (QPR) Suicide Prevention Gatekeeper Training
Did you know that suicide is the second leading cause of death among young people (aged 15 to 24). In addition, suicide has been a growing concern on university campuses across Canada. Many people are afraid to talk about suicide and do not know what to say or how to help someone who is suicidal.
This one hour workshop will give you the understanding and confidence you need to support someone who may be considering suicide.
Students trained in QPR learn how to recognize the warning signs of a suicide crisis and how to question, persuade, and refer someone to help. As a QPR-trained Gatekeeper you will learn to:
- Recognize the warning signs of suicide
- Know how to offer hope
- Know how to get help and save a life
Watch this page for training opportunities or contact
- Sakala Success Centre or
- Elise at email@example.com