Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Committee
The President's Cabinet of Burman University has appointed ten individuals to form the Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Committee. This committee reports directly to the president. The functions, responsibilities and authority of the Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Committee includes:
- Receiving student, faculty and staff concerns of cultural insensitivity, harmful prejudice and racism (Power to Recommend);
- Arranging for diversity sensitivity training or other related professional development for faculty, staff and students (Power to Act);
- Developing and monitoring equity and diversity performance indicators (Power to Act);
- Evaluating all campus events, programming, policies and procedures to ensure equity and inclusivity (Power to Recommend);
- Developing and regularly updating the strategic initiatives relative to equity, diversity and inclusion (Power to Recommend); and
- Preparing for the president minutes of actions or recommendations (Power to Act).
The committee meets monthly with the Human Resources Director acting as chairperson.
"When we are intentional at achieving something, there is far greater chance of success than if we leave things to chance," says Loren Agrey, current president of Burman University. Although the committee was formed under the leadership of the previous administration, he strongly believes the committee is significantly important to campus. "The concepts of diversity, equity, and inclusion transcend any one individual or place and are timeless in nature," explains Agrey. "By focusing on these areas, the committee can ensure that diversity, equity, and inclusion become the norm on the Burman campus and help instill these values in all members of the campus family."
The Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Committee is currently working on a number of initiatives to fulfill their responsibility, function and authority.