Join Burman Advantage!
Give back to the community. Develop leadership skills. Connect with others. Boost your resumé. Share your interests and passions. Gain work experience. Find your purpose. Continue a family history of service. Broaden your world. Reflect on your values
What is Burman Advantage?
Burman Advantage activities give you the opportunity to use the things you have learned in a hands-on practical way. It encourages you to give back to the community, develop skills related to your employability prospects and reflect on your co-curricular experiences to gain a deeper understanding of yourself and the world around you. In these activities, you will develop skills in the following development outcomes:
- Interpersonal Communication
- Problem Solving
- Creative and Critical Thinking
- Personal Responsibility
The Burman Advantage program involves yearly participation. A graduate will receive a Burman Advantage official certificate that can be linked to your resumé and added to your professional portfolio.
Who is Burman Advantage for?
Burman Advantage is open to all students in any degree program. Students can join in any year of their studies. It is recommended to start at the beginning of the school year in order to complete the activities required.
Burman Advantage Requirements.
- Register here for Burman Advantage
- Attend an Informative meeting
- Sign Code of Conduct and Criminal Record Check Agreement
- Select one or more volunteer and mission opportunities that interest you and/or register for the Saruk Centre for Leadership
- Keep track of your participation in volunteering and/or involvement in the Saruk Centre activities and/or Mental Health and Wellness Training offered by the Sakala Success Centre by entering them in April of each year https://burmanu.jotform.com/230605411872046
- Obtain signatures verifying your submissions of hours
- Write a short reflection thought about your volunteer and leadership experiences https://forms.gle/dYTBVmgWTYo6qFT58
- Receive special recognition at Graduation
Where can I find Volunteer Opportunities?
Volunteer opportunities will be posted through emails and on volunteer boards on campus. Burman Advantage coordinators will guide you in finding suitable openings, and you are also invited to seek out your own local volunteer opportunities of interest. You are encouraged to consider both off-campus and on-campus leadership and/or membership as part of your portfolio. Mission trips are a special category of volunteer experience, and our campus chaplain is the person to talk to about this exciting option.
Submission due dates
Upload your volunteer and leadership hours regularly throughout the year, and they will be added to your file. The last addition of hours must be done by 12:00am MST on April 15 each year. Any volunteer service after that date will be added to the next year. If you are a Saruk Leadership Centre member, please obtain the signatures of the Saruk leadership team to verify your participation.
What will I receive on completion?
Participants who complete the Burman Advantage expectations are awarded the Burman Advantage Certificate. The Burman Advantage Certificate is valued as a part of your job application portfolio and for those continuing their post-graduate education.
What are some expectations for belonging to Burman Advantage?
You are asked to sign and follow the Burman University Code of Conduct. See the link below.
Do I need a Criminal Record Check to join Burman Advantage?
You do not need a criminal record check to join Burman Advantage. However, some volunteer organizations will require a criminal record check. If this is the case, you are expected to provide one at your own expense.
If you have further questions please get in touch by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org