Tours and Trips
Burman University encourages faculty and staff to provide opportunities for students to travel for both academic and non-academic purposes in order to significantly enhance student life.
Burman University is proud to provide opportunities for students to participate in field trips, study tours, fieldwork study, research, mission trips, and organization performance tours. In most cases, students are able to earn academic credit for certain trips. Please speak with Registrar's Office to explore the possibility of academic credit.
TOUR/TRIP APPROVAL PROCESS
In order to approve a trip, Student Services requires the following documentation from the sponsors of the trip:
- Tours/Trips Policy: Sponsors are requested to review the policy while planning their trip. Reading the policy will ensure that the trip complies with the expectations and requirements of the university.
- Field Trip and Activity Request Form: Please use this form to request permission for all field trips/activities not listed in the Calendar of Events. Submit the completed form to the Office of Student Services at least two weeks in advance of the trip. If the trip involves any time period between 7:45 am, Monday, and noon, Friday, while classes are in session, submit the form at least three weeks in advance.
- Organization, Mission and Summer Study Tour Request Form: Sponsors are required to fill out this form for submission to Student Services and Academic Administration before December 1. The form will be presented to the Campus Life Committee and the Academic Committee for approval.
- Organization, Mission and Summer Study Tour Financial Planning Spreadsheet. Please complete this form and submit it along with the Organization, Mission and Summer Study Tour request form.
- Tours/Trips Itinerary Form: The Field Trip, Summer Tour & Activity Request Form must be accompanied by the trip itinerary when submitted for approval.
- Student Services Checklist for all Trips/Tours: Sponsors will receive confirmation of approval or rejection of their proposed trip from Student Services and Academic Administration. Once approval is obtained from the Campus Life Committee and the Academic Committee, sponsors are required to ensure that all items on the checklist have been fulfilled. Hard copies of documentation must be submitted to Student Services for final approval.
- Travel Information Form: A copy of this form must be submitted to Student Services and the sponsor must have a copy with them at all times during the trip.
- Burman University Assumption of Risk Form or Parkview Adventist Academy Assumption of Risk Form: Any in-country trip that is scheduled during the Fall and Winter Semesters is covered by the Assumption of Risk Form filled out during registration. A separate form is required for any trip involving international travel. This same form must be completed by any non-student participant for all trips, in or out of country.
- Immunization Waiver Form: For any student that cannot comply with the suggestions for vaccinations made by the World Health Organization.
Burman University encourages all sponsors of tours and trips to ensure the safety of each tour/trip participant. This responsibility rests on the sponsors of the respective tour or trip, as well as Student Services. The following information is provided for your reference when preparing for your tour or trip:
- Government of Canada: Travel and Tourism
- Government of Canada: The Traveler's Checklist
- Government of Canada: Request Emergency Assistance
The Vice President for Student Services will register any international trip with the Government of Canada. This enables us to be contacted and assisted by government officials in case of an emergency abroad.
- Government of Canada: Registration of Canadians Abroad
- Government of Canada: Registration of Canadians Abroad FAQ
In case of emergency, please call for help at Burman University by using the necessary country calling code + (403) 896-4355 or (403) 782-3381.
If you need help from the Canadian Government, please contact the closest Canadian government office abroad or the Canadian Government help lines:
- Canadian citizens outside of Canada can call collect to (613) 996-8885.
- For calls originating in Canada, call (1800) 267-6788 or (613) 944-6788.
- In a number of countries, you can also call the 24/7 Operations Centre toll-free.
- You can also communicate via TTY by dialling (1800) 394-3472 (in Canada and the USA) or (613) 944-1310.
- Contact directly via our secure online e-mail form.
- You can also reach the Operations Centre by email to: email@example.com